Common Questions about Motorcycle Insurance
Because injuries in a motorcycle crash are likely to be more severe, the motorcycle rider is at greater risk of financial disaster following a serious crash, it is critical for cyclists to know what their options are.
Q. Do I need insurance for my motorcycle?
A. The motorcycle owner is not required to carry insurance to register a motorcycle. However, the driver is held financially responsible if charged in a motorcycle crash. A motorcycle owner has three financial responsibility options to choose from.
- Purchase liability insurance for a licensed Florida insurance carrier. This would be the most common way of gaining coverage.
- Secure a Financial Responsibility Certificate. This requires posting a surety bond with a state licensed company and depositing cash or securities with the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV)
- Obtain a Self-Insurance Certificate from the Bureau of Financial Responsibility after providing evidence of a net encumbered capital.
Q. What is no-fault coverage?
A. Florida is a “no-fault” state requiring personal injury protection coverage for your personal vehicle of four wheels or more. No-fault coverage ensures that all medical bills will be paid regardless of who was at fault in an accident. No-fault laws do not apply to motorcycles. This means that the motorcyclist must get compensation from the other driver’s insurance for any injuries and damages that resulted from the accident.
Q. Are there penalties for not having motorcycle insurance?
A. If you are in an accident, you are financially liable sustained injuries and damage. And if you don’t have liability coverage at the time of the accident it can have serious consequences including:
- Having your driving privileges suspended
- Having your registration and tag suspended
- Being required to purchase bodily injury/property damage liability coverage for three years
- Having civil judgments against you
Q. What should I do if I am involved in a motorcycle crash?
A. Dolman Law Group has successfully represented many victims of motorcycle crashes recovering large cash settlements. Reach out to us today for a free consultation. Do not wait as time can adversely affect your case. Call for a free consultation today at 727-451-6900.
Dolman Law Group
800 North Belcher Road
Clearwater, FL 33765